Saturday, July 4, 2009

3 blitz games tactics

In each position below, the goal is to find the best continuation.
Tactics and missed calculations in action...

Position I: What did White play here ?
1. Qxg5 or 1. Rg1

Position II: Black to play , earlier in the same game
Black played 1..Qb6. Does Rybka agree?

Position III: Black to play
I just played Qe4-e5 in the position below, to control b2 and play h5-h6.
Enough to win ?

I was playing White in all three positions:
I was able to win in position I, while I shouldn't have survived the game if my opponent had seen the right move in position II earlier on.
I won with White in the last diagram, but only after my opponent let me back in the game.

Conclusion: Chess is 99% tactics, at least in blitz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I. 1.Qg5? allows black to play Rxb3+! and to draw the game by a perpetual check
II. the right move, instead of 1..Qb6, is 1..e4, if white moves his knight then 2..Bxg5 trapping the queen (3.f4 is met by exf3)
III. 1..c3 threatning mate; white has to give back the quality (the rook in exchange for black's knight) to prevent mate by playing Rb1; after that, black has an extra-pawn

chess_planet said...

Yes, Yes and Yes !

Now if you can share with the readers how to become so strong with chess tactics & combinations !