Friday, August 1, 2008

Key moves : how to clinch a chess game (Easy level)

Too often, an overwhelming advantage is obtained in a rapid or tournament game, but missing a clean decisive win lets the opponent come back in the game.
Here are three examples taken from recently played games. It's all about looking at all candidate moves and thematic combinations to clinch the game.Variations are not long but precise moves are required...

Position I

Black to play and win in two moves


Position II

White to play and win with a double-attack


Position III

Here White missed an elegant win, letting Black escape.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Position 1:
1...Ne3+! and white has to resign (if fxe3, then e1Q+ with a discovered attack; if K moves to any available square, then Nd1 ensures a the promotion of e pawn)

chess_planet said...

Well done, you found the key moves !

That's exactly what I missed with Black allowing my opponent to come back and win the game !

If only I had a dollar for every time I heard " My position was winning but...", I'd be set !!

Unknown said...

Position 3
1.Qd6+ Rxd6 2.Bxd6+ Kg7 3.f8=Q+ Kg6 4.Qg8+ Kh5 5.Qxh7 ...
White now has material advantage

chess_planet said...

You find the solution for Position 3!

Well done.

In your variation 4..Rg7 is a better defence but White will win.

4 Qf6+ Kh5 5 Rf5+ decides